Protecting Your Family This Hurricane Season
04 June 2020
Is your family prepared for this year’s hurricane season? Here are some easy steps you can take now to protect your home, family, and belongings before disaster strikes.
- Know your area’s flood risks. Make sure your flood insurance policy is up to date. Ensure that you have access to National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) radio broadcasts in the event of an emergency.
- Talk to your kids about what to expect in the case of a hurricane or flood warning. Discussing in advance not only keeps your kids safe, it can also help alleviate fear, especially in young children.
- Determine a safe room in your home or area in your community for your family to meet in the event of a hurricane. Learn and practice evacuation routes. Make sure your entire family knows the plan.
- Have a plan for what to do with your pets in the case of a hurricane. Ensure they have properly sized carriers and leashes available for transport, as well as collars with current identification. Include pets in your evacuation route plans and share the plans with kids if they are concerned about your pets’ safety in the event of an emergency.
- Post emergency numbers and out-of-state family contacts prominently in your home. Make sure children know how and when to dial 911.
- Build an emergency kit stocked with non-perishables, first aid supplies and medications in case you must leave quickly or lose access to utilities. If you have a pet, don’t forget to include pet supplies as well. Make sure your kids know where this kit is stored.
- Move valuables and important documents to a waterproof container. Create digital, password-protected copies of all documents that could be accessed remotely.
- Ensure your home is protected. Clean drains and gutters of debris. Consider installing check valves on plumbing lines, a battery-powered sump pump, and moving your water heater to a floor less likely to be flooded, if possible.
- Consider taking a CPR, First Aid, or disaster preparedness class as a family.
Private Flood Insurance Offers a Wider Range of Innovative Solutions
WNC Insurance Services provides a wide range of innovative private flood solutions with higher limits, broader coverages and more stable and competitive rates than what is available from the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). Contact your insurance agent today to inquire about our industry-leading flood solutions or visit our website to learn more.